Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Faith Triumphs in Trouble

Most of you know us on a personal basis and you know that we have had one heck of a year. I am writing this blog mostly to serve as a reminder that no matter what we are dealt, our attitudes determine the outcome.

Last July, Danny and I were anxiously awaiting Houston's first birthday. Everything was going great. Our business was just starting to support itself. My banking job wasn't too bad, my kids were thriving and growing so fast! LIFE WAS GREAT!

And then...

I was with a customer at the bank, and my phone starts ringing. I couldn't answer it, first my cell...then my desk phone. Within moments a co-worker rushed into my office and says "Danny has been in an accident and they said to stay put". There is no way for me to express the feeling that took over at that point. Long story short, Danny was driving to pick me up for lunch and another car moved over into him running about 60-65 mph. Danny had left his cell phone at the shop and was using another phone to try and contact me. While the car didn't look extremely beat up, Danny's head smashed into the window. He left that day with a concussion...which I was thankful for! It could have been a whole lot worse!



It wasn't a month after Danny's car accident that I started my new job. There was a six week lapse in my insurance coverage. Well, I asked Danny to help me move the bottle cap table (which I mentioned in a previous blog). Let's note that this things has SEVEN gallons of plastic on it. The sucker is super heavy....well, Danny didn't come in my version of a timely manor...so I tried to do it myself. (All wives who have tried to prove a point and it back fired...raise your hands) Needless to say the table was too heavy, and my wrist bent backwards and broke. Did I mention we didn't have insurance?? GEEZE oh Pete what a time for this to happen...


On Halloween Danny calls me at work and says he doesn't feel good and I need to come home. I immediately assume that he is just being a typical guy baby. I bring home stomach medication, and tell him to suck it up. Until I realized that he is rolling around in the floor in the fetal position. So I dress him, carry him to the car, and start on the way to the hospital. On the way my two front tires blew out...again this is one of those "It can't get any worse moments". My in laws quickly come rescue us and we end up at a local hospital. Several hours later Danny is in surgery having his appendix removed...I guess he wasn't being a big baby!


All four of us were supposed to be in a wedding the day after we left the hospital...so guess what we did? Packed up and drove four hours so we could share our friends special day! Danny basically slept the entire weekend...


Oh, and after the wedding Bryson was FINALLY able to get the Mohawk he had been wanting. I must say...dude rocks a Mohawk!


The night before we were set to leave for Asheville, NC little Chubby had a severe asthma attack. One that I was certain would land us in the hospital. Thankfully, he was able to get better with steroids and breathing treatments...and one VERY long night in the pediatric ER!


AND...we were able to join my family in Asheville, NC. By the way, if you haven't toured the Biltmore...you should! It's beautiful!


After returning home...the super tragic loss of "Wub" happened. I had run into Wal-Mart to grab a few things with the boys. Somewhere in there Houston threw Wub down, and had a melt down later when he couldn't be found. I searched the entire store, Danny drove over and searched the entire store....and I called and begged the store manager to please call if they found Wub. I cried...cried a little more...this was Houston's FAVORITE! At 5:00 AM the next morning Wal-Mart called me to inform me that the lost Wub had been located! It was a day of rejoicing!



Then, we got nearly a week of snow. It was amazing! I am so thankful that both boys were old enough to enjoy it! 


And then....we went to Mobile for Mardi Gras and came home to a flooded house. Yes, nearly five months later we are still repairing the damage. I am grateful insurance covered it and we got new floors, but I had a one room at a time plan for our house. Not another complete redo. So after a few days at my mom's house, nearly a dozen loud fans, and every thing ripped out of the house...we have brand new pretty floors!


Not even two weeks after our house flooded we had to have Bryson's tonsils and adenoids removed. His tonsils were HUGE...this has by far been one of the best things we have ever done for him. I am not a fan of surgery, but for the first time in his life he can finally get a good night sleep! 


Then when Bryson was better...we went to the beach with Danny's family. Don't be fooled...this was the ONLY sunny day we got. We were there for TEN days of rain. It wasn't all bad...we enjoyed laying around watching movies all day!


Bryson graduated Pre-K!! I just thought I cried a lot the night he graduated...I have cried more buying things for REAL school! Can you tell I am having a hard time accepting the fact that he is growing so fast??

I am seriously so proud of him...when other kids were too scared to say their lines, or sing their songs Bryson jumped right up and filled in for them. I hope that he always keeps his outgoing personality!


We went back to the beach, with my family...it rained AGAIN. While playing in the indoor pool area Houston fell and broke several of his front teeth out. We rushed him to the emergency room and then came home and went to a pediatric dentist...his teeth can be repaired once everything is completely healed up.

For laughs we shared this picture on Facebook. Most people believed that we actually got him a mouth full of silver teeth! SAY WHAT?? Really...teeth are so important...silver ones won't do LOL


Before his mouth could even completely heal we landed ourselves back in the hospital. This has to be one of the scariest hospital stays I have ever had. There are no words to express how I felt when the nurse came in and said "You're being moved...to Atlanta". My first thought was...only REALLY sick kids go to Atlanta. I honestly had no idea that my baby was that sick. Thankfully, they were able to treat the MRSA in his leg with medication and no surgical procedures. But, after a rushed move to Atlanta and a week at Egleston...saying I was stressed is an understatement.


So we are back to the one year mark of Danny's car accident. I am praying that nothing else goes wrong, that this year is full of boring and uneventful days! What I have learned through this entire year is that you can not help what life gives you. You can't change it, you can't just magically make it go away. You can only control your attitude and outlook. Please don't read this and think "Gosh she is so positive"...that's not true. I have spent countless hours in tears asking "How much more can I take".

While in this blog I covered the bigger events, we were constantly challenged with smaller hurdles. Nothing like getting ready to go somewhere (on your birthday) and the car won't start. 

If any of you are going through something right now, it may not be a dozen hospital visits like us. It may be financial or emotional (we have had those times this year too), there is always joy in the morning. What seems like your world crashing down on you today...tomorrow is a little bit lighter. You have to choose to rejoice in the good and the bad. Despite all of our hardships this year, I still have a wonderful family, a home that is ours, and numerous friends who are there to pick me up when I am down.

I am not a mushy person, but I feel like someone needs to know that they are not the only one going through something. 


My favorite...hands down...


Romans 5 New King James Version (NKJV)

Faith Triumphs in Trouble

Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have[a] peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope. Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.






















No comments:

Post a Comment