Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Dinosaur Bones and Dirt Treat Bags- HOW TO

Remember how Bryson's class is having pretend week? Today it was dinosaur day. I wanted him to have a fun treat that he could make and take to his classmates.

So we went with dinosaur bones, in dirt.


These are so simple to make, a little time consuming...but super simple. They are cheap to make too! I keep treat bags and wax paper in stock at our house, but other ingredients cost less than $15.00 total. I made a total of 25 treat bags, and still had half a bag of pretzels and a half a bag of marsh mellows left.

What you need:
  • Pretzel Sticks
  • Marsh mellows
  • Almond Bark white chocolate
  • Oreo Cookies
  • Treatbags
  • Wax Paper

To start with I melted the almond bark in my double boiler. You can melt this in a regular pot on SUPER LOW heat, it takes a few minutes. It has microwave instructions too...but I don't like how it turns out from the microwave.



While the chocolate was melting I put Bryson to work. You stick a marsh mellow on each end of the pretzel. 


Houston was hard at work, too. Stealing the pretzels and marsh mellows from Bryson.


This is what you they should look like. Make sure that the marsh mellow is stuck all the way through. They tend to fall off in the chocolate...and then you don't have pretty bones!


I learned that you can only dip one of these at a time. Some more professional candy makers may have better advice/or a better system...but for amateurs like me one at a time turned out the best.


Once they are covered you lay them out on wax paper. Let them dry...and then break off any ugly pieces of chocolate sticking off!


Once they are dry and the ugly pieces are broken off you stick them in the treat bags. For the "dirt" I just crushed up Oreo cookies. Just crumble the cookies up and add them in the treat bag. 


I actually only used half of the cookies, the other half I dunked in chocolate and make treat bags for my coworkers. They got the left over cookies and the bones that broke or didn't turn out well...and they didn't complain that they were ugly.


So there you have it...super simple dinosaur bones. It is a little annoying having to put them together, and dip them one at a time....but it is a great project to do with your children. The boys had a ball!











No comments:

Post a Comment