Monday, March 2, 2015

Happy POPday!

"I believe that what we become depends on what our fathers teach us at odd moments, when they aren't trying to teach us. We are formed by the little scraps of wisdom."
-Umberto Eco

Most of you know my Pop and the majority of you can say that you have learned something from all of his scraps of wisdom. Some may have learned that it is not wise to use fire pots near fake plants...it will set the stage on fire. Others may have learned how to be Mr. Fix It's or how to correctly open and store ice cream in the freezer.


One of the first things he told me when I found out I was expecting Bryson was "oh I can teach him to throw rocks and pee outside"....and believe it or not he did!  When I asked Bryson what he learned from  his Pop he said " everything...like throwing rocks and baseball. How to fix stuff and why air planes make smoke"....

In honor of his birthday this coming Sunday I wanted to take some time and write about some of the things I have learned from him...



At an early age I learned that I held his heart in my tiny small hands. This didn't mean that he gave me everything I wanted...okay, okay so maybe he gave in the majority of the time. What this meant to me was that I knew he loved me if he trusted me with his whole heart...and I knew he always would!


As I grew up I learned what a husband should be...and how he should treat his wife. For over thirty years he has loved and been loved by this lady. I am so grateful for the home that they have built together and the example they have set in my life.



 I learned how to be direct and how to stand my ground form my Pop. Got to stand for what you believe in....even if what you believe is that your truck isn't a trash truck!


I learned that despite what I thought...at the age of 18 your dad can STILL beat your butt! There is no amount of running through the house trying to avoid him that can save you...he can and will catch you. 


I learned my confidence from Pop. He always believed in himself...if he can do it then I can do it. There is nothing that we can't do...and if we can't do it alone then we can do it together.


I learned what the true meaning of servant leadership is...and it wasn't from a book. Honestly, Pop could have written the book on Servant Leadership...YEARS AGO!


I have learned that loving people is what makes my Pop so special. My entire life I have watched my dad love and welcome so many of you into his heart and his home. In his eyes you are his family....you may not be blood...but you are family!



Happy Birthday week Pop!! May you have many many more so that I can continue to learn from you! 

143












No comments:

Post a Comment